Monday, June 21, 2010

Not NOW

We here in the United States usually associate the letter “W” with George Bush. However, I’m here to tell you that this letter of the alphabet is more important that even former President George W. Bush. It can be the difference between understanding and misunderstanding. If you have been following my blogs recently, you know that my computer crashed on June the 13th. As in all things, it was both a bane and a blessing. It was a bane in that I had to re-install many programs, reload other items, and look for drivers to make needed software compatible with Windows 7, my new operating system. It was a blessing in that my old computer had become lethargic, to the point that I could run only one program at a time and sometimes not even one. Running Skype, the program that allows a computer user to video-conference anywhere in the world, would deplete the resources of my computer so that it would slow almost to zero. Skype, on the new computer, is fast and allows quality communications using both audio and video. Eager to communicate, I wrote my friend who moved to Hong Kong a year ago: “I am now Skype-ready.” I thought he would immediately respond with a Skyping session. Instead I received an e-mail from him which failed to mention Skyping at all. I was puzzled. Fortunately, my e-mail to him had been left below his reply message, and I looked back to see what I had said regarding our Skyping. And there it was: “I am not Skype-ready.” What a difference a “T” instead of a “W” makes in getting the message across effectively.

No comments:

Post a Comment