Friday, September 3, 2010

Cancer Redux

I had my first cancer scare when I was 54 years old. I was teaching full-time and had learned after a routine PSA test that I had a fast-growing form of prostate cancer. The recommendation was for me to have radical surgery, which I did. Of course, I missed quite a bit of work during my recovery and returned to my classroom only after I had regained most of my continence. The cancer made me realize that life might not be as long as I had thought so I applied for retirement and retired four months after I had the surgery with credit for more than thirty years of teaching.

My second bout with cancer occurred not quite ten years later and had nothing to do with the previous cancer. This time it was non-Hodgkins lymphoma, and the cancer was in my chest. I had learned of the cancer after going to my physician when my neck swelled up. The diagnosis was to have chemotherapy and radiation. I agreed to both and found myself twice a week at St. Anthony's where the doctors and nurses there treated me with loving care and encouragement. Following the chemo, I underwent the radiation, and it too was administered with tender-loving care.

I am now a cancer survivor. I look back at both scares and realize that I didn't let it turn me into a negative person. I was the eternal optimist during both "sieges" and believe that is the reason I am alive and well today. I walk about thanking God many times a day for life and health. I believe strongly that when it is my time to die that I will be ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment