Saturday, September 25, 2010

Send Out The Clowns

I suppose we all have things that frighten us. Even the most macho of men feel fear regarding something that has ominous qualities. Some people suffer from vertigo so can't stand to be high up looking down. Others, like some of my family, are terribly afraid of electrical storms and cower during lightning and thunder storms. Others are afraid of crowds and avoid them as best they can. Some love the thrill of a roller coaster while others can think of nothing more unappealing. Me, I have two bugaboos -- clowns and balloons. I don't know the source of these phobias, but they are strong. Because of my aversion to them, I have never greatly enjoyed birthday parties if there were balloons, and most of the time there were unless it was my own party. And I never particularly enjoyed the circus, where clowns abound. Clowns, to me, were garish and surreal. I thought perhaps I would outgrow my problem with clowns and balloons, but it persisted even as my children began to have birthday celebrations. Will anybody join me for a clown-less and balloon-less celebration? I hope so.

No comments:

Post a Comment