Saturday, September 11, 2010

The English Class Rap

I'm not deeply into Rap music, but I can appreciate it as I was the inventor of Rap. You don't believe me, eh? Well, when I was teaching middle school years ago, I was frustrated trying to teach my students about English grammar. How do you engage students with inanities such as punctuation, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, etc., when their hormones are going beserk? The only solution I could see that might work would be tying grammar to something they did like: rock music. I never went very far with it, coming up with only three jingles, but boy did it ever work. I would get the class clapping, and then I would teach them: "A gerund, a gerund, is as cute as can be .... It is a verbal noun. It ends in I-N-G." That took care of gerunds. Now for participles: "A participle is a verbal adject'uv: it asks which, how many, or what kind 'uv." Finally there was my rap for learning the verb "to be." It must be sung to the tune of "Obla Di, Obla Da," a Beattles song of the period. "Am, is, are ... Was, were, be ... being been, OMPH (shouted). Now you know the verb to be." Again! (and repeat). I have even used these raps with my college students. It still works. Admit it -- you like it!

1 comment:

  1. VERY CLEVER. THOUGHT YOU MIGHT BE IN WASHINGTON BY NOW.

    ReplyDelete