Wednesday, December 29, 2010

At a Loss for Words

Beginning January 2, 2011, my blog will move to the following location:
http://bobosbest.wordpress.com/. Please follow me to that location.

I am appalled at the Oxford English Dictionary which recently published its list of acceptable new words. Among the list was Sarah Palin's "refudiate." Ms. Palin certainly creates news and exercises her charisma in many ways, but what in the world does the word "refudiate" add to the English lexicon? Nothing. She is a celebrity and therefore commands acceptance, even among the high-brow Oxford English Dictionary people. I think my word "alonely," which I have written about and defined in this blog, is much more deserving of recognition as it is a combination of two words, "alone" and "lonely," creating a new word that clearly adds a new perspective regarding our emotions. A few years ago, a friend of my brother's also invented a word that I thought classy. He was referring to a Georgia author who was writing about Georgia rednecks. He spoke of the author's stories about "redneckedness." Now, that's clever. How about considering that for your dictionary, Mr. Oxford?

2 comments:

  1. I'm sorely disappointed to hear that Oxford considers that word acceptable. The dumbing down of our country continues.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree 100%. Yours make more sense to me.Still covered in snow. Don't know when we will see the ground again.

    HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!!!

    ReplyDelete