Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Dentalphobia

"You must have gum surgery" or even just, "You need to have that tooth pulled." Anything regarding a trip to the dentist or the othodontist wreaks havoc with my nervous system. It seems to me that I heard eons ago about painless dentistry. What happened? Where is it? Why do we still sit in a chair and listen to that piercing drill and that grinding sound, the same sound you would hear outside with someone drilling cement. Where are the earphones with music playing to keep our minds preoccupied so that we can ignore some of the activity going on in our mouth. I had gum surgery recently. The doctor was capable; the two assistants were very helpful and professional; the job was done. But, for thirty or forty minutes, I was as tense as someone who is facing execution. I prayed for the orthodontist, asking God to give him wisdom as I was certain the procedure was never-ending and might even be fatal. I'm extremely grateful for the dentists who have worked so hard in order to give me chewing capability and a nice smile, but please come up with something to occupy us during the ordeal that takes place in a dental chair.

1 comment:

  1. Amen to that. I know exactly what you mean having gone through that myself not long ago. I still have to go back for the impressions for my bridge and I am dreading it.

    ReplyDelete