Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Close Your Eyes

I have watched three movies lately on DVD that I had trouble watching. However, the effort to watch these films was worth every minute of the time. All three films are important because the messages each conveys need to be heard. In "The Hurt Locker," we encounter the reality our soldiers face every day regarding IED's (improvised explosive devices). I don't know about you, but I do not face any such daily danger, and this film helped me better appreciate those men and women in the armed forces who risk their lives to insure that I never have to worry about such a danger. "Precious" is not about explosive devices but is about poverty, ignorance, and immorality. It is also about prejudice and sexism. Most of us don't want to see the seedy side of life although it surrounds us and affects us. There is no escaping the challenge Precious has just surviving in her environment. Finally, the movie which was most difficult to watch was "The Stoning of Soraya M.," which is based on a true story. Man's inhumanity to women is the focus of this film. It is told against the backdrop of recent news about a proposed stoning in Iran. While I was not entertained by any of these three movies, I emerged from the viewing with a greater appreciation of human courage in the face of war and adversity and a gratitude for those who risk their lives that I may enjoy my freedom.




No comments:

Post a Comment