Friday, August 20, 2010

Senior to Senior

When I started high school as a freshman in 1953, I entered knowing there was a big reward at the end of my senior year -- a trip with my classmates to Washington, D.C. It was a tradition. During my high school days, the class had many fund-raising activities to insure that all 64 of us could afford to make this wonderful trip to the nation's Capitol. It involved traveling by train, bus, and boat. Most of us had never been out of South Carolina, and many had never traveled without their family accompanying them. The trip included not only sightseeing in the Capitol but also, on the way up, visits to Richmond, Virginia, and the Naval Academy in Annapolis, Maryland. Of course, the time in Washington included tours of the Capitol, the White House, the Smithsonian, and other symbols of our nation's heritage. It was a marvelous experience and the culmination of my high school education.

I will soon be getting ready for another senior trip to Washington. This time the word "senior" takes on a different meaning. In September, I will spend a week in the Capitol, visiting friends who live and work there and have invited me up. I'm excited, almost as excited as I was anticipating that first senior trip.

1 comment:

  1. When our class was approaching our senior year we were told there would be no senior trip 'cause too many of the preceding classes came back pregnant! Not a problem though for you on this trip......

    ReplyDelete