Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Dicknedy (repeat)

Years ago when I was working in the Pinellas county office of education, a teacher friend and I were asked to publish a county school newsletter. I had recently taken a course in word processing on the TRS-80, the Radio Shack computer. I had always been a good typist so was thoroughly enjoying my new abilities to do things on the computer. Our task was to publish positive news stories regarding teachers in Pinellas County. My friend had written an article about a teacher in a middle school whom I knew as Dick Labrant. In the article, she had called the teacher Ken Labrant. When I saw this name as I was proofreading, I told Pat that everyone knew him as Dick Labrant although his name was Kenneth Richard Labrant. At first she was reluctant to change but only because it would mean retyping. I quickly asserted my newly-learned wisdom which included something called "global replacement." All one had to do was to tell the computer to replace "Ken" with "Dick" and Ken Labrant would automatically become Dick Labrant, and we would then accord him the praise and admiration he so richly deserved. I typed in the command, pushed the ENTER key, and voila -- Dick Labrant appeared. We went ahead and printed the newsletter and sent it out to all the schools. Almost immediately we began to receive phone calls. My wizardry with the computer had soured. The first phone call came from the assistant principal at Kennedy Middle School where their school had been identified as Dicknedy Middle. The second call was from Dr. Judith Klikken who was on the School Board. Dr. Klikken was quite upset that she had been labeled Dr. Judith Klikdick. So much for global replacement.

1 comment: