Thursday, August 12, 2010

Down on my Knees

I've never been much of an athlete, a bit of tennis every once in a while and some bowling, but I never participated in team sports. I enjoy watching team sports such as football and baseball, but I can't blame sports for my weak knee. I don't know what caused that ailing knee, but several years ago, it became very painful. When I spoke to my primary care physician about it, he gave me two options: get a shot of cortisone or have surgery. When I told him I had heard that cortisone shots were given with a long needle and hurt, he said, "I use a short needle, and I don't hurt." "When would I get it?" I asked, hoping for some prep time. "Now," he said and gave me the shot. It did not hurt. However, after three shots over a period of a year and a half, the shots stopped helping, and I agreed to have knee replacement surgery. I had had several surgeries in my adult life and had always bounced back almost miraculously. Not so this time. I followed all the rules with exercise, physical therapy and medication, but the knee was stubborn and continued to bother me long after my recovery should have been complete. It has now been over two years. During that time, I have started going to the gym, taking two exercise classes per week with one day of nothing but knee and leg exercises, and I can finally report that my knee feels normal again. Although it certainly was no quick bounce back, it has been a total recovery thanks to my decision to become somewhat athletic.

No comments:

Post a Comment