Sunday, October 17, 2010

50 years ago

October 16, 1960 (Sunday) - I must say that I’m not at all keeping my diary up to date now. After seven years of constant daily undertaking to keep this journal vivid with each day’s thoughts and experiences, I have finally grown negligent. Here I sit on Thursday, October 20th, like the man in “The Lost Weekend,” trying to recapture the fleeting events of this week. The memory part of my brain must be terribly immature or weak for I shudder to think that I would be forced to fill this page with Sunday’s happenings. Sunday was just another Sunday. Perhaps I paid a little more attention to the service because it was conducted by the women of the church. I remember avoiding Eleanor Goss, because I had not purchased the organ music which she gave me $5.00 for. The afternoon sped by on the wings of sleep as this journal lay neglected in its corner of my desk. Diary, I promise to keep you up to date henceforth.

This is my journal entry of 50 years ago. I'm afraid I didn't live up to my commitment as there are gaps in my journals, some for years. Still, I will never regret the days that I wrote, the memories they evoke, and the evidence they occasionally give that my existence mattered.

No comments:

Post a Comment