Saturday, October 23, 2010

New old words

I love words. I recently learned two things about two words that I have never thought deeply about: the words are "temple" and "infantry." When I recently read the book, The Lost Symbol, I was intrigued about Dan Brown's writing concerning our mind and how much more powerful our mind is than we give it credit for being and how being "created in the image of God" has a deeper meaning than most of us understand. In the book, one of the characters questions why we call the top of our head the "temple" if it does not imply that our mind is the seat of incredible potency. I like that. Although I subconsciously understood that the head was called the "temple," I never associated that nomenclature with anything spiritual. The other word, "infantry" is certainly a word I have flung around without thinking of the implications regarding its meaning. In Roman times, when men were sent into war, it was the younger men-- the recruits, the junior officers -- who were put on the front lines. Ergo, the word "infantry" came from the youthfulness of these who were sacrificed. Wow! I am always amazed at the words that have so much more meaning than we understand without having it pointed out to us.

No comments:

Post a Comment