Friday, October 1, 2010

Rainy Days and Mondays

I was born with far from a perfect teeth. I learned early in life that I had four teeth, two on either side of my front teeth, that had no permanent teeth coming behind them. Dentists were perplexed, saying that I should keep those "baby" teeth as long as they lasted as they didn't know how they could replace them with something affordable that would look good. When I went into the Navy, one of the requirements was to have your teeth checked. When the lieutenant who examined my teeth saw those four teeth, he said, "Why hasn't someone pulled those?"When I gave him the explanation I had always received, he said, "Well, I'm going to pull them, and they'll have to do something." And he did; and they did. He was chewed out, but the office went to work to see what they could do to replace those teeth. What they came up with was a permanent bridge that hooked onto my front teeth. Permanent is not the best word for that bridge as I did have trouble with it later on. One of the facings kept coming off which prevented my saying plosive "s" or "f" sounds. Try that sometime. During one of my not infrequent dental visits, a humorous event occurred. My civilian dentist was quite nervous about getting a new bridge to set, connect, and look natural. As he was working to cement the bridge in place, Karen Carpenter was singing "Rainy Days and Monday" in the background. When she came to the words "Nothing ever seems to fit," Dr. Easter and I both burst into laughter.

No comments:

Post a Comment