Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Frere Jacques

My brother Jackie and I enjoy a most unusual comaraderie. He is a Palinesque Republican while I am very much an Obaman Democrat. My brother is the cell-a-phonist while my cell phone lives in my car. However, despite my antipathy toward cell phones, I appreciate his phone calls when he is enroute to some destination. These calls are sometimes as light as the latest movie but other times are laden with controversy concerning our Republic. He has even said, "How did we grow up in the same home?" There is certainly reason to question that. However, we are as close right now as we have ever been though he lives in Georgia while I am here in Florida. We disagree on so much and yet there is enough that we agree on that we end every phone concersation with "I love you." My brother is an author and a book and film critic. I am a retired school teacher. He is three and one-half years younger than I am. We don't look alike, we don't think alike, but we enjoy and appreciate each other alike. Jackie once told me: "You are the only one left who knows my history." That is so true.

No comments:

Post a Comment