Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Eek! A Spider

I've always enjoyed games, especially games that involved intellect and not just chance. Three of the games I most enjoyed when I could find a good, competitive partner were Jotto, Scrabble, and Boggle. I learned to adapt Boggle to my classroom by putting the squares up on the board so that teams within the class could compete. Jotto, which involved a writing implement and paper, could be played almost anywhere. Scrabble required a Scrabble board (at least before the advent of computer games) and was usually played seriously. It was after I retired and became interested in computers that I discovered Spider Solitaire. I read recently that it may be the most played of all computer games. I have found it both addictive and challenging. By the way, I always play the Intermediate level, having long ago dismissed the lowest level as too easy and the highest as impossible. The middle level is winnable and keeps my wits sharpened. I find myself playing Spider Solitaire when I have a few minutes left before church or when I'm waiting on a friend who is a bit late. It soothes my impatience and makes me use my mind to reason out the best solution. And, on top of playing a challenging game, the computer goes into a little fireworks demonstration when a game is won. You certainly don't get that in Scrabble.

1 comment:

  1. Oh nuts ! I was thinking about going to the beach for just those reasons you mentioned in yesterday's blog. While gathering my gear ie a book and sunscreen, I read today's blog and couldn't resist trying another game of Spider. Yup you guessed it...now it is too late to get to the beach and home on time for next duty. So will play three more Spider games and then sit at my pool with my book. Won't forget sunscreen and some Iced Tea. Lipton's to be sure. hugs...guess who?

    ReplyDelete