Sunday, July 18, 2010

May I Have A Word With You?

I love words. That's why I'm an English teacher. I have stressed vocabulary learning in every class I've taught. "The limits of my language are the limits of my world" was one of my favorite axioms I employed in my classes. I emphasized the importance of using words in context rather than memorizing the definitions. I also taught that some words are to be spoken while others, such as the words "facetious" and "penurious," are more commonly found as written words. I remember too encountering words repeatedly without being able to determine their exact meaning, such as the word "ubiquitous." I saw that word everywhere. What a surprise to learn that was what it meant -- everywhere. Some words are difficult to remember, such as the word "funicular," which I first heard when I was in Norway and rode a funicular up the side of a mountain. I have trouble remembering the word for artistic sculpting with plants such as is done at Disney: "topiary." That word always escapes me. Then there are the words that I abuse by overuse, such as "really." I think the abuse of "really" is southern, and I certainly have availed myself of it to the extreme. I have even had to "de-really" my journal. My brother's favorite repeat word is "again," which he uses to show contrast. Language is magical, and I love it. I REALLY do.

1 comment:

  1. THOM, I JUST FINISHED WRITING TO YOU AND AGAIN WENT TO THE WRONG PLACE AND IT ERASED THE MESSAGE. WHAT I SAID WAS THAT I AM GLAD YOU CAN STILL REMEMBER AND USE THOSE LETTERS. I WAS TAUGHT ENGLISH FROM THE FIRST GRADE ON UP SO I LEARNED TO READ IT AND WRITE IT BUT HAD NO PRACTICE SPEAKING IT. IT WAS NOT UNTIL I JOINED THE NAVY THAT I LEARNED TO SPEAK IT. I WILL GO TO THE MOVIES EVERY NIGHT EVEN IF IT WAS TO SEE THE SAME MOVIE SEVERAL TIMES. (WES WAS ALWAYS ASKING ME HOW TO SPELL SOME WORD). I WAS 21 YEARS OLD WHEN I CAME IN THE NAVY SO I NEVER LOST MY ACCENT. I DON'T LIKE IT BUT MOST PEOPLE DO. SOMETIMES I HAVE DIFFICULTY TRYING TO REMEMBER A WORD AND FACES. IT IS EMBARRASSING WHEN PEOPLE I HAVE KNOWN FOR OVER 40 YEARS GREET ME AND I JUST STAND THERE WITH A BLANK LOOK ON MY FACE. COULD BE THAT THEY HAVE AGED MORE THAN I HAVE OR AT LEAST I LIKE TO THINK SO.( SMILE)
    HOPE YOU ARE STAYING COOL. WE ARE HAVING THE HIGHEST HOT TEMPS. SINCE I HAVE BEEN IN BOONE.
    HAVE A GREAT SUNDAY.LET ME KNOW IF THIS GOES THROUGH.

    ISSA

    ReplyDelete