Monday, July 26, 2010

Nearby Paradise

My son and his family live in Nashville, TN. Both he and my daughter-in-law travel some with their jobs, and they ended up taking a business trip to St. Petersburg and were able to bring along Luke, my three-year-old grandson. I knew they were staying at St. Pete Beach and planned to visit them during the day. Boh called early and suggested I come on out to the hotel and have breakfast with them on the beach. Good idea! More time with Boh, Jeri, and Luke. The drive from my home to the beach was only a twenty minute drive so I was there in no time. I parked in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn and ambled through the lobby. Boh had told me they were eating on the beach. As I exited the door to the patio area where breakfast was being served, I suddenly felt as though I was Dorothy in "The Wizard of Oz" as she stepped into the Technicolor magic kingdom. Was it possible that I was still in Florida and had driven only twenty minutes to arrive at this Paradise on Earth or had I been magically transported to Hawaii? It certainly didn't look like this at my house on 15th Avenue North. The visit with my family was fantastic, as always, but the realization that I live so very near Paradise was a revelation.

2 comments:

  1. Great story and it reminded me of our trip to Puerto Rico. We stayed in a plush resort where The Donald Trump has a golf course right next to it. When you leave the gate all you see is dirt,a bunch of businesses, just plain poverty. It makes you think that you are in Heaven. The view from the balcony was breathtaking. Looking at the ocean and palm trees. Huge swimming pool with a place for todlers. Magnificent. We hated to leave. I know you enjoyed yout visit with your son, his wife and grandson. Aren't grandchildren as the word says GRAND? I miss mine terribly.

    Issa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you trying to make me homesick so I will come back to Florida before the fall? Which hotel, Tradewinds or Don?
    Dan

    ReplyDelete