Saturday, July 10, 2010

Sky Lightning

When I had my house built in 1989, one of the items I wanted to include was a skylight. I also wanted a fireplace (or thought I did), but the builder said I had to make a choice: fireplace or skylight. Fortunately, I chose the skylight in my living room. The original skylight was plastic and, while it was clear when it was installed, it became opaque over the years, baked by the sun. While I had heard others complain about leaking skylights, mine was sturdy and leak-proof until that summer morning when I heard a strange sound. There was a tropical storm way out in the Gulf, nowhere near us. However, the storm had spawned a squall line with pounding rain and strong wind, and I was to learn that this storm was the cause of the strange noise I had heard. The rain and wind had abated quickly as I walked the house looking for the source of the noise. When I walked outside, I saw nothing but, when I turned around, there were leaves on the floor in my house. Then I looked up -- no skylight! I learned later that a downdraft from the storm had lifted the skylight from the roof. I could not have been more lucky that day as I went into action to cover the hole in my roof before we had more rain. The rain held off, and a blue tarp was laid down and anchored to protect me until a new skylight could be installed. The replacement skylight was glass. It has now been five years since the old one was replaced, and the skylight is still as clear as it was the day it was installed. I can once again hear raindrops, see occasionally the moon and stars, and every once in a while watch lightning streak across the sky. You can't do that with a fireplace.

1 comment:

  1. I don't have a skylight but I do have a fireplace which is used rarely, usually at Christmas when Marta is here she has to have a fire. I do have a metal roof and love to hear the reindrops. One of the houses we looked at when we moved to Boone had a skylight which I loved but at that time Boone was not very populated and the house being on DEck Hill seemed like the end of the world at that time so we didn't buy it. We settled for one right in town.

    ReplyDelete