Saturday, November 20, 2010

Barefoot Boy with Cheek.....

When I was young and growing up in a small town in South Carolina, going barefoot was a tradition. Don't get me wrong! We knew how to dress up and put on shoes and socks when it was appropriate. But, during playtime, bare feet were in vogue. By the end of the day when the color of our feet had turned to a dusty brown, Mother always insisted that we wash out feet outside before coming into the house.

In elementary school (we called it grammar school), the principal would announce each spring when coming to school with bare feet was "legal." What a great joy that was. Although as a teacher of college students, I now wear both socks and shoes to class, an observer will find that I stil lean toward slipping my shoes off under my desk at every opportunity. The socks stay on, but the shoes come off while I secretly celebrate my return to my childhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment