Thursday, November 4, 2010

Confessions of a Substitute Teacher

After a thirty year plus career of teaching everything in the English curriculum at the high school and college level, one might think I would be ready to sit back, relax, and enjoy my retirement. I have had fellow retired teachers say, "Once I walked out of that classroom, I've never wanted to go back again." Not so for me. I loved my teaching career and began seeking teaching opportunities soon after I retired and finished taking advantage of some travel opportunities. I learned that St. Petersburg College hired substitutes for teachers who missed classes. What an opportunity -- no lesson plans to make and no papers to read and grade. Just the essence of conducting and teaching a class. Occasionally, I turn down requests to sub when it is in conflict with my schedule. When I do, the secretary says, "We'll call on you next time." What a great retirement job, and they even pay me.

1 comment:

  1. sounds like you're as happy with your retirement job as I am with mine.

    ReplyDelete