Friday, November 26, 2010

Weather "Whoops!"

Have you noticed how scientific weather prognosticators have become? And we, the public, have joined in a chorus of "Tell Us More." There is even now a weather channel. In fact, when I first went cable, I could not take just the basic package as that option did not include "The Weather Channel." Everyone is interested in the weather. We now are told if and when it will rain, what the high and low temperatures will be, all sorts of information about heat and humidity. What we seldom get are apologies when forecasters are wrong, e.g., when there is a 100% chance of rain but no rain falls; when it is supposed to freeze, but the temperature doesn't drop below 50 degrees. I don't recall a weather man or woman ever saying, "I really missed the forecast yesteray." Even pollsters admit when they have blown election predictions. We don't really expect the forecast to be correct every time. But I surely could use a good "S'cuse me" or even a "whoops!"

No comments:

Post a Comment