Monday, November 22, 2010

The Art of Procrastinating

I am a college graduate with a degree in Procrastination. I have never been able to study, pack for a trip, write lessons plans, grade papers, make out tests until the very last minute when I'm under duress. Although I know it is a habit which causes me anxiety attacks, I have persisted following this policy all of my life. I am an excellent typist which has rescued me many times when tests were not typed up until the last minute. I am very good about getting where I'm supposed to be on time. I am blessed with a wonderful musical sight-reading ability enabling me to forego practices when I'm scheduled to play the organ or piano. Those traits have been assets to help circumvent disaster, but I am embarrassed that I have let procrastination dominate my opus operandi. Fortunately, I have learned that there is a remedy: make a list. There is something magic about making a list. It lifts me from the oncoming procrastination mode into do-it-now mode. One would think that I could therefore be writing about my victory over procrastination. Unfortunately, I don't make lists very often. Why? Then I'd have to stop procrastinating. However, when I do make lists, I am the successful careful accomplisher of many things. Yesterday, I made a list: Walgreens, Barb Billert, Gunter Funeral Home. I went by Walgreens to pick up my prescriptions, called my friend Barb whom I hadn't heard from in ages, and connected with the Gunter Funeral Home in order to make future funeral arrangements. No, I'm not dying (or I don't know that I am). I have been procrastinating taking care of that matter for far too long. See, lists work.

No comments:

Post a Comment